Skip to main content

What happened to Amazon Kindle Worlds?


I just finished formatting my new GI Joe novel, Sandcastle Detente! I was super excited to share it with everyone but when I went to Kindle Worlds to upload the manuscript a message at the top of the page states "Kindle Worlds is now closed to new submissions."

I searched the site for answers but found none. I jumped on Facebook and Twitter but have yet to receive a reply. The message continues, directing authors to other Amazon services. This would not be an issue if it was made clear whether or not we could continue to publish fan-fiction without legal ramifications, but it is not clear. I looked over the new services, like Kindle Direct Publishing and couldn't find any helpful information. When I searched for GI Joe licensed Kindle Worlds books on Amazon and sorted them by publication date, trying to find out how long the site has been down it just made things more confusing. Three GI Joe books were published on May 16th. G.I. JOE: Tales from Peregrine Base Volume 1: Enigma was published yesterday, May 21st 2018, so this appears to have happened overnight. I sent an email looking for answers. I should hear back in 24 hours.

If Kindle Worlds is defunct, maybe the new system will allow for more options with the cover design. It has been repeated many times that I believe Hasbro's small selection of approved images is detrimental to an author. Maybe the new system will allow for images I've designed. I design my own covers anyway for promotional reasons, it would be great if authors got to use more eye catching artwork to stand out on the digital bookshelf. Actually I've designed multiple covers for each of my GI Joe books, typically one that highlights the primary location of the story and another depicting the main characters, hand drawn then colored in Photoshop. My last post revealed the locale cover, below is the character cover. A third cover has also been completed, featuring three new Drednoks. Sandcastle Detente is my first GI Joe novel to introduce new core characters. I certainly hope the book can be published soon and everybody gets to meet my Dreadnok characters. Until then I'll keep that cover under wraps. If anybody knows what happened to Amazon Kindle Worlds, send me a Tweet. @013brainoutloud




Synopsis: Snake Eyes and Scarlett are enjoying a few days of rest and relaxation in beautiful Miami, Florida. But it's not the sweltering summer heat or the harmful UV Rays the Joes have to worry about. International drug-smuggling kingpin, The Headman just made his move to overthrow the established criminal element and has left a trail of bodies in his wake. Matters are complicated when the Joes bump into Zarana and Road Pig, who happened to be in the area recruiting new Dreadnoks. Fortunately, the Joe lovebirds and The Dreadnok duo come to an arrangement, but can the combustible quartet coexist long enough to take down The Headman and his army of Headhunters?

Comments