Skip to main content

Original characters in Sandcastle Detente



The moment I discovered GI Joe as a kid, I started creating my own characters. I would crudely draw them all in the same unexciting, static pose; straight-on (two dimensional) with their left arm to their side and the right out, bent 90degrees at the elbow and holding a weapon. What can I say, I was a kid and my artistic skills were still developing. Even though they looked similar my characters had their own unique code names, areas of expertise and backgrounds. Arguably my artistic skills have improved since the 80's but writing has always been the fun part. My newest fan-fiction novel, GI Joe: Sandcastle Detente, is loaded with original characters, but some of my favorites are the three new Dreadnoks - Outlaw, Gearhead, and Menace.

GI Joe: Sandcastle Detente is the first time I've included all-new, original characters in one of my fan-fiction novels. That is, original characters that are members of GI Joe, Cobra, or the Dreadnoks. In the past Amazon Kindle Worlds had a competition where fans would vote for their favorite original character. This is how Stiletto went from the pages of Bill Nedrow's 2015 fan-fiction novel "GI Joe: Body Count" to carded action figure. I had hoped that one of my original characters could make that same journey, but Kindle Worlds is no more. I would have submitted Outlaw. If the Dreadnoks can have a pirate (Zanzibar) why not a Calamity Jane wannabe? When that Fan Vote competition didn't return the following year, or the year after that, I should have realized Hasbro and/or Amazon wasn't as invested into Kindle Worlds as they once were. With Kindle Worlds closing my GI Joe adventures will be available on Inkitt, for free. Inkitt does not have any relationship with Hasbro (as far as I know) so it seems incredibly unlikely any more fan created characters will be officially released  as an action figure. Stiletto appears to be the first and only to get that honor. Although it would have been nice, I did not write my books for that reason alone. I wrote Into the Clutches of Cobra-La, Mindbender Theater, and Sandcastle Detente because I love GI Joe, I had stories to tell, and I wanted to improve as an author.

That said, I have never made custom action figures myself but if somebody with the skill does want to create one of my new Dreadnoks feel free to do so. Just be sure to Tweet me a picture.

As I said above, arguably my artistic skills have improved, and one of fun things I like to do when writing a book is creating the cover, or multiple covers. With the topic of this post being my new, original Dreadnok characters it seems like a good time to reveal another variant cover for GI Joe: Sandcastle Detente, with the ruffians front and center.




Synopsis: Snake Eyes and Scarlett are enjoying a few days of rest and relaxation in beautiful Miami, Florida. But it's not the sweltering summer heat or the harmful UV Rays the Joes have to worry about. International drug-smuggling kingpin, The Headman just made his move to overthrow the established criminal element and has left a trail of bodies in his wake. Matters are complicated when the Joes bump into Zarana and Road Pig, who happened to be in the area recruiting new Dreadnoks. Fortunately, the Joe lovebirds and The Dreadnok duo come to an arrangement, but can the combustible quartet coexist long enough to take down The Headman and his army of Headhunters?


Comments