Skip to main content

Coming Soon! GI Joe: Sandcastle Detenete



My third GI Joe fan-fiction novel is nearly finished! GI Joe: Sandcastle Detente is currently going through the final round of proofreading/editing, and will be available from Amazon Kindle Worlds soon. It has taken far too long to complete the book, especially considering an aspiring author's mantra is "write every day."

My first two GI Joe fan-fiction novels (available to the right) lack a major component of The Real American Hero. He was on the cover of seemingly every issue of the Marvel run, his action figure has far more versions than any other character, and I don't even need a third example because you already know who I'm talking about. The fan-favorite ninja/commando Snake Eyes. I include myself as a Snake Eyes fan but in the later issues of the Marvel run, I feel that there was too much emphasis on The Silent Master. It got to the point where the book was renamed "GI Joe Starring Snake Eyes." This had to be an order handed down to Mr. Hama from Hasbro to sell more Snake Eyes action figures and he did some damn good work, it was just too much. I even had a letter published in Post Box: The Pit, where I ranted about the over-usage of Snake Eyes and his seemingly super-powered skill set and perceived invulnerability. Writing that Snake Eyes would fit in better with the X-Men. Now that I think about it, I wonder if my letter was where Rob Liefeld got his inspiration for Deadpool? I no longer have my comics collection to verify and I couldn't find an archive online, but the letter would be in the latter issues, I think 153. If anybody finds it, please send me a scan. 

Even though I believe Snake Eyes was overused in the comics the omission wasn't malicious, it was because my first two novels had no place for Snake Eyes. Into The Clutches of Cobra-La was a restructured version of the animated GI Joe: The Movie and Snake Eyes was barely in it. Actually, he wasn't a central character in the cartoon at all, he was even replaced by Duke in the relationship with Scarlett. My second book, Mindbender Theater was about two pals going to watch a movie and Snake Eyes wasn't part of Sci-Fi and Mainframe's nerd squad. In my third fan-fiction novel Sandcastle Detente, Snake Eyes is instrumental.

Synopsis: Snake Eyes and Scarlett are enjoying a few days of rest and relaxation in beautiful Miami, Florida. But it's not the sweltering summer heat or the harmful UV Rays the Joes have to worry about. International drug-smuggling kingpin, The Headman just made his move to overthrow the established criminal element and has left a trail of bodies in his wake. Matters are complicated when the Joes bump into Zarana and Road Pig, who happened to be in the area recruiting new Dreadnoks. Fortunately, the Joe lovebirds and The Dreadnok duo come to an arrangement, but can the combustible quartet coexist long enough to take down The Headman and his army of Headhunters?

One of the best things about the Kindle Worlds program is that Hasbro does not mandate which characters the authors can use. However, Hasbro does determine what cover art you can use. I kept the same theme as my other books when designing the official Kindle Worlds cover, which will be added to the links on the right when the book is available. I also designed my own cover, just as I did with the other books. In fact, I've designed three variant covers and will post them all on brainoutloud soon. Alright, I'll post one now.





Comments